Visual Studio 2010 and SharePoint 2010: Content Type deployment error on second deployment round

I have managed to hit my self at least twice now with this “smallish” problem with Visual Studio 2010 and SharePoint 2010. In Visual Studio 2010 you can add content type into SharePoint project and deployment goes easily through at first time, but later following error message pops up:

Error occurred in deployment step ‘Activate Features’: The content type with  defined in feature {guid} was found in the current site collection or in a subsite.

Apparently this is quite common error, but I thought to add post from this to here if someone else manages to get this error and happens to find this blog at first.

And the solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022443 . On quick summary, solution can be as easy as retracting the solution, closing Visual Studio 2010 and starting studio again and doing the deployment. Sometimes there is needed to do extra tricks (like restarting SharePoint processes) but normally things are this easy with this particular problem.

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

SharePoint 2010: Workflow gets “stuck” in starting state

I have been wondering seriously about the following problem. Some times workflow (created in Visual Studio 2010) stays in “Starting” state for at least 5 minutes. After some searching it was pointed out that Timer needs to trigger workflows if they are started programmatically and the logs state in a way same thing. However this does not occur when user starts workflow. I’ll be posting the solution for this problem when I’ll find it. The workflow in this case has some special features for which the immediate start is almost obligatory. I have also tried adding some delay in the workflow before calling the start, but no luck this far. This “starting” state was never a problem in SharePoint 2007.

Posted in SharePoint 2010 | 3 Comments

Passed the 70-573 MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Application development certification

I have been a bit silent now, but I want to say that I got my first SharePoint 2010 certification. I have been digging up stuff from SharePoint 2010 and doing some “conversion” from SP 2007 to SP2010. I’ll be posting some of my findings here and also I am now targeting to next SharePoint 2010 certification that will be 70-576.

Oh btw. my blog travelled from Live Spaces to here due to Microsoft discontinuing the Live Spaces.

Posted in SharePoint 2010 | 4 Comments

Back in working

Okay the summer holidays are over (saaaaaadly) and now it’s time to get back working. Luckily I was able to attend to 5 days course. Course topic was SharePoint 2010 application development and now I should atleast have some knowledge about that thing 😉 Transition from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 is not too big, but there are certain things that need to be taken care of and now I am taking closer looks to this topic finally.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Certified ScrumMaster

Okay I actually forgot to add this small posting here but I completed Certified ScrumMaster course and online test in last month (28th of May) and the verifying address is here:
http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/93432-sakari-hilama

And now I am close to summer holidays (tomorrow is the last work day for 6 weeks 😉

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

SharePoint lookup columns across SharePoint Webs (SPWeb)

Okay back to SharePoint sandboxes… I found a need to use SharePoint lookup columns between different SPWeb’s. By the normal UI of SharePoint, you are limited to use lookup columns just inside one web. Gladly in this case this is just a limitation of UI: you can write your own code to create new spfieldlookup and set its properties (like lookupwebid and lookuplistid) to anything you want in your Site Collection (apparently there might be even way to extend this through multiple site collections). This was a pleasent finding from SharePoint.

One another thingy was attachments in document library that was not as nice. Apparently SharePoint does not support in any way attachments in document library and it is hard coded barrier. So I might be working this topic more later on and thinking something like using SharePoint’s own logic (for a normal lists there is attachment logic like this: for SPListItem’s attachments, SharePoint creates folder named 1 or 10001 (same as SPListItem.ID on which you are putting your attachment), hides the folder from UI and voilá. Just wondering why this is not in use with Document Library. Some guys at the Internet did even their own Document Library schemas where they tried to enable this attachment functionality but no luck…

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Archieved the MCPD: ASP.NET Developer 3.5 certification

I got passed a few days ago the 70-564 "PRO: Designing and Developing ASP.NET Applications Using the Microsoft
.NET Framework 3.5" certification test and archieved the MCPD status. So now I should know a thing or two about the ASP.NET 3.5 Wink. And I’ll need to say that even though my background is heavily SharePoint related, the ASP.NET 3.5 is not that odd and in the way same principles are effective. Of course there is a lot of stuff that should be done or not done on way or another in SharePoint and "normal" ASP.NET but that is another story.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment